Skip to the main content



Appointing a Guardian for your child(ren) in the event of your death

 August 2018 |  Stacey-Anne Bishop

You may be worried about who would look after your children in the event that you died during their minority.


If this is the case you may want to consider appointing a guardian for your children. A parent with parental responsibility may appoint another individual to be the children’s guardian in the event of their death. An appointment shall not have effect unless it is made in writing, is dated and signed by the person making the appointment. A guardianship clause may also be made by Will.


a) On the death of the person making the appointment, the child concerned has no parent with parental responsibility for him or;
b) Immediately before the death of any person making the appointment, a child arrangements order was in force in which the person was named as person with whom the child(ren) was to live or the person was the child(ren’s) only (or last surviving) special guardian.

The appointment shall take effect on the death of that person.

If you feel you need some assistance please contact our reception to book a free telephone consultation for more details on 01234 343134 or email ​​​​

Posted in:

Share this page:

Book a Free Callback


Our expertise & accreditations

Our highly qualified lawyers are members of Resolution, working to their code of practice, encouraging sensitive and cost-effective solutions that consider the needs of the whole family, including the interest of any children.

resolution - first for family law
resolution - collaborative family lawyer
resolution - mediator
Cyber Essentials - Certified
The Law Society accredited - Family Law
Lexcel Accredited
Investors in People

We have offices in Bedford, Milton Keynes and are currently looking to relocate our office in Northampton. We also have offices in Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Norfolk and London.